Mussels Rawa Fried (Xinanio)

Mussels Rawa Fried (Xinanio)

A long time ago, perhaps 15 – 20 years, my uncle who stayed in Goa took me to the Baga Calangute Creek. In the middle of the creek where some rocks protruded out of the water, there were huge shells. He removed his knife and popped out the Xinanios from the rocks there. Of course now I have no clue of the state of the creek currently and not sure if its possible to even find Xinanios so easily to this day. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

But when in season I never miss out on an opportunity to consume of one of my favorite dishes, the Rawa Fried Xinanio! Its very easy to do, we use the Recheado Masala so if you don’t have any at hand, you can make some now.

Rawa Fried Mussels Ingredients:

xinanios or mussels

A Cup of Mussels (1 Vati)
Salt as Required
2 Tbsp Raechado masala
Rawa (Semolina, just enough to coat the mussels)
Oil for frying
Please note that we are shallow frying, if you are deep frying you will require an egg to coat the mussels before rolling it in the rawa)

You start of with adding salt to the Xinanio, we added a little less than a teaspoon.

add salr to the mussels

The next step is to add the two tablespoons of Raechado masala to the mussels.

add raechado masala to the xinanios

Mix it evenly and make sure each mussel is coated with the masala.

mix the mussels in the raechado masala

Now if you are deep frying pop them in the egg before you roll them in the rawa. Roll the mussels in the rawa.

roll mussels in rawa

Cook them in oil, note my mother prefers to use less oil and salt in most of her cooking.

cooking the mussels in oil

There you have a bunch of rawa fried xinanios ready. You aught to know by now this goes extremely well with the local cashew drinks 🙂

rawa fried mussels

Here’s what they looked like 🙂

rawa fried xinanio

, ,

10 Responses to Mussels Rawa Fried (Xinanio)

1. Gerard Vaz September 21, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Thank you very much indeed for all the lovely recipes you come up with now and again. You have taken me seventy years back and brought memories of the mussels both xinanios and tisrios. I would like the recipe for tissrios if possible. I faintly remember it being a dryish dish the muscle being scooped into one half of the shell and desiccated coconut being used in making the dish.

2. Anonymous September 21, 2013 at 10:59 am #

Hi
    Another variation is to marinate with turmeric powder and pepper powder. Dip in egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
    However am always confused about cleaning them. can you tell me which part is to be removed and thrown away.
    regards
    Maria

3. Beverley Fernandes September 21, 2013 at 10:59 am #

thanks a million
    but here in dubai we dont get xinaneo , can we use anyother shellfish or prawn with the same receipe
    thanks bev

4. Clyde September 21, 2013 at 11:01 am #

We do make Tisrios, but you know this is a hobby so when we can we will 🙂

Thank you for the appreciation!

5. Clyde September 21, 2013 at 11:01 am #

you can do the same with prawns Bevereley 🙂

6. jenny September 30, 2013 at 7:18 am #

thanks a lot for the lovely recipes u share.u don't know how much of a bless ur recipes are to me n my goan friends.we all love the recipes n try them out and they all are a hit for sure.pls try and share more recipes more often .thanks 2 ur lovely mom n God bless her for being such a good cook whose food makes me think of my granny's food.now since iam away from home.these dishes bring a sense of homely touch which is personally lost.

7. Ann John November 19, 2013 at 9:10 am #

Thanks you for sharing the recipe

8. Flaviano Dsouza May 7, 2014 at 7:40 am #

My name is flaviano dsouza from cuncolim,i like to give one tip instead of
    using bread crumb or rawa u people try
    Corn flakes (crushed) it ll give the taste of KFC for even chicken

9. Clyde May 7, 2014 at 7:58 am #

thank you for that tip Flaviano 🙂 Much appreciated and glad you like to experiment!

10. ash May 15, 2014 at 2:46 pm #

Hi Clyde,
    Thank you for all the time and effort you take with sharing your recipes.The detailed presentation makes it so easy.IVe tried the chicken cafreal and also tyhe vindaloo and were so tasty .recommended your site to many of my goan friends.Please thank your mum for cooking and sharing your recipes, and preserving our goan food culture.God bless you always for all the wonderful work you are doing.It brings back so many wonderful memories of my holidays in Goa
    Ashwini