The Fiery Goan Pork Vindaloo

The Fiery Goan Pork Vindaloo

Pork Vindaloo is synonymous with Goan food, but how does it get its name? After doing some research its interesting to know, that vin is for the vinegar and the ahlo means garlic in Portuguese.

Some people say that it was Vindahlo, but since we know Aloo, as potatoes in India the dish was called Vindaloo. Anyway lets get down to the Pork Vindaloo Recipe.

Pork Vindaloo Main Ingredient:

2 Teaspoons of Jeera,
1 and a 1/2″ Haldi,
1″ piece of Cinnamon
3 – 6 Peppers
3 – 6 Cloves
Vinegar

First you need to wash the Pork pieces well, and then chop them up into nice bits.
Clean and chop the pork pieces
Once you dice the bits you need to dry the pieces of pork. You can dry them up using a cloth as well to absorb all the water.
Diced pork pieces
Then add some salt this should help dry the pieces even more.
Apply salt on the pork pieces
Now keep that aside and lets get the masala ready, grind the chillies into a powder, then add some vinegar not too much into it.
Add vinegar to the kashmiri chilly powder
Add all the ingredients of the vindaloo masala shown above and then grind all of it in the blender.
Grind the vindaloo masala in the chilly vinegar mixture
Once you have your masala ready you can add your masala to the pork pieces and mix it up well. Make sure all the pieces of meat are evenly mixed with the masala. Add a little vinegar to the meat, mix it up and store it overnight in the fridge.
Add masala to the pork pieces
Now you can chop the large onions to add to the Pork Vindaloo.
Chop the two large onions
Before you can add the onions to the dish you need to blend them in the mixer.
Grind the chopped onions
Add the blended onions, here its got a specific colour because we used the same liquidiser that was used for the vindaloo masala.
Add chopped and blended onions to the dish
Its time to transfer all the ingredients on to the stove, no need to add any water yet.
Transfer the pieces of meat and masala to a vessel
Now you need to add a few peppercorns, a little cinnamon and a few cloves to the dish as you fry the meat.
Add some spices and fry the pork
After a little while of frying add some water and let it cook on a slow flame.
Add water to the vindaloo mixture
Let the vindaloo simmer on a low fire as the meat soaks in the masala and gets cooked.
Cook the pork on a slow fire
You know the Vindaloo is ready when it turns the fiery red colour and the aroma will attract your neighbours :)
Delicious Pork Vindaloo
Remember, the Vindaloo always tastes better the next day as the meat gets properly marinated, its not really a very spicy dish but on the tangy side. The longer you store it the better it tastes just like a pickle! Pork Vindaloo reminds me of Christmas all over again!

Hi, I'm the guy who does most of the work to keep this site up. It's something that i'm passionate about but wish I had more support to keep it synced with the vision I have of it :)

I keep pushing myself and love innovating in the kitchen.Hope you see my smiling face more often, that just means there will be more recipes coming up. <3 Peace and Love Always :)

114 Responses to The Fiery Goan Pork Vindaloo

1. Linda January 12, 2009 at 5:16 am #

thanks for the recipe I love this site, reminds me of my Mom.. I had a question in the masala plate I see ginger but you have not mentioned it in the list so was wondering.. does the recipe need ginger too?

2. Akal's Saappadu January 21, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

I was searching for an authentic goan vindaloo recipe, and at last I I found it. thank you for the beautiful demonstration of the curry. I’m going to try this out and will keep you posted.

3. Anonymous March 4, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

GINGER WAS A PLUS, I ADDED SOME GREEN CHILLIES AS WELL TO THE ONIONS TO STEP UP THE FIRE, AND WHEN USING VINEGAR, I GROUND THE CHILLIES WITH THE VINEGAR IN THE MIXER, BUT BEFORE GRINDING THE CHILLIES, SOAK THE RED CHILLIES IN THE VINEGAR FOR A WHILE AND THEN GRING IT TURNS OUT EVEN MORE FABALOUS AND REMEMBER IF U CAN USE GOA VINEGAR, ITS MIND BOGGLING. SEAN 9820323242.

4. priyanka March 4, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

today i tried making vindaloo exactly like d way u demonstrated……..and d result was a PERFECT VINDALOO..I LOVED IT…..THANKS A LOT AUNTY..

5. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

this is simply delicious. Now can you provide us with the recpie for Reshad masala please

6. Clyde March 5, 2009 at 1:04 pm #

@ Linda, yes I have forgotten to mention the Ginger over there! I apologize, will add it to the list soon…it definetly does need ginger!

@ Anonymous, would consider if you leave your name!

@ Saappadu, Will be waiting to hear what you have to say!!!

@ Priyanka, I am so glad that you enjoyed it!!! You are more than welcome.

@ Sean, thanks for sharing your tips with the readers! Do keep visiting and sharing your recipes as well!

7. MIR March 10, 2009 at 6:59 pm #

SIMPLY GREAT…HEY COULD WE HAVE SOME PICKEL RECEPIES AS WELL. HOW ABOUT WATER MANGO PICKEL FOR STARTERS :)

8. cristal dsouza May 6, 2009 at 3:37 am #

this looks so delicious am going to try it out today but will replace the pork with beef as we dont get here it here in the middle east! atleast the taste will close to the real thing…thanks aunty..makes me long for goa

9. Anonymous May 6, 2009 at 3:37 am #

Have you tried adding say 1/2 tsp of roasted and ground fenugreek seeds to the vindaloo masala. Does add a different flavour.
    from: jmc_margherita@yahoo.com

10. Linda June 25, 2009 at 8:26 am #

when you transfer the meat to the stove, do you add oil to the pan? or no oil required for this dish?

11. Clyde June 25, 2009 at 8:50 am #

@ Linda

you don't add oil when you transfer the meat to the stove because the pork has a lot of fat there will be excess oil because of that..

12. Julie M Dsouza December 1, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

I will be trying this recepie I like the step by step demonstration shown which makes it more easy and tempting at the same time

13. Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 4:37 am #

Could you please advise approx. how much peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon to be added when frying?

14. Clyde December 17, 2009 at 4:39 am #

@ Anonymous

For a kilo of pork use, 2 one inch sticks of cinnamon, 5 – 6 pepper corns and 4 -5 cloves

@ Julie

Glad you like it :)

15. Anonymous January 1, 2010 at 6:01 am #

this is natasia here,, just wanted to know tht ifi add chicken instead of pork then i will be needing oil when i transfer the checkin on stove????

16. Anonymous January 1, 2010 at 6:01 am #

The pork vandaloo recipe looks really good,
    I was under the impression that Vandaloo was always made with mustard seeds ground up with the rest of the masala. Could you clear that up for me please!

17. Clyde January 1, 2010 at 6:06 am #

@ No mustard seeds in Vindaloo says the Chef :)

@ Natasia, if the chicken has skin you would need to add a lil less oil but if its skinless more oil will be required

18. indu April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am #

the pains that u took to craete such a wonderful website, is really breathtaking. I am making this today for lunch

19. Anonymous May 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

Thank you for this recipe. The first time i tried this pork-vindaloo recipe it was a huge success. Eversince i have been only making it this way. Goes well with rice or bread and still tastes great.

1/2 a Goan from Canada.

20. Sharon June 25, 2010 at 6:38 am #

Hi Clide,

Just wanted you to know that I just came across your website in search of pork sorpotel and I just love the way you have explained your recipes with step-by-step pictures too!!!

Thanx a lot as now I can impress my Goan In-laws with some authentic goan recipes.. I'm going to try out the Sorpotel soon.. 😉

rgds,
    Sharon

21. Nigel June 25, 2010 at 6:38 am #

Clyde. Thanks for the recipe. I have made it thrice (and im based in Jakarta Indonesia.) and its come out fab. Still a true pukka goan where food is concerned. What i have missed is just the goan vinegar.

BTW… can you post a rechardo masala recipe.

22. Sri July 8, 2010 at 7:03 am #

Hi there
    Stumbled upon your site as I was looking for a genuine recipe for Chicken Vindaloo. I am happy to have come across this blog, and will be substituting chicken for the pork in the recipe. I have my own food blog where I write about food from a few different regions. I will feature it for my readers once I am done cooking this for guests coming over tomorrow for lunch.
    Regards
    Sri

23. Brendan July 8, 2010 at 7:03 am #

Hi!! Nice one!! Keep up the good work and let the Goan traditions hail!! m/

24. Betty August 18, 2010 at 7:54 am #

I TRIED MAKING SORPOTEL AS ILLUSTRATED BY YOU AND THANKU IT TURNED TO BE TASTIEST SORPOTEL. AND IT WAS THE 1ST TIME IN MY LIFE THAT I MADE IT. THANKU VERY MUCH AND YR DEMO'S STEP BY STEP ARE VERY USEFUL. ALL THE BEST FOR THE WONDERFUL JOB U R DOING TO MAKE ALL NONCOOKERS COOK. BETTY MENEZES

25. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Hi….just wanted to contribute something on the vindaloo. I prepare it without any oil since the pork already has a lot of fat.I add a small onion or half a piece of a big onion in the masala n grind it. Then cut another big onion the same way showed above n mix with the marinated pork just before cooking it. Let it cook on low flame…tastes great!

26. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

My friend's mom adds mustard seeds ( ground together with rest if spices and vinegar) .. did i miss that in your recipe or there is a version without the nice spike of mustard flavour? thank you for sharing these lovely goan recipes.

27. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

thank you so much for this ….. i tried it an it was great ..!!

28. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

I have to say i just cooked that up and it was absolutely delicious, thank you.
    So different from the hot but basically bland hot red curry we are served in UK restaurants

danny surrey

29. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

This recipe looks very authentic but was wondering if it requires kaju feni.

I used to add red wine vinegar to give a bit of twist and add red chilli powder (kashmiri chillies are difficult to get in usa). One more variation was that I could caramalise onions, it gives a sweet/smokey taste.

30. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Hello, what are peppers? Are they chill is or capsicum?

31. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

Hello! nice website, i think i can follow the way of cooking…

i'm from Philippines, currently living in Duabi, and i'm inlove with Goan man… i want to impress him by preparing his favorite Goan dishes… i think Pork Vindalo would be easy to prepare… Good luck to me! hehe!…

thanks!…

-Kitty

32. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

I can't wait to try this recipie this weekend!how much vinegar do i add for 1 kg Pork?

33. GE September 4, 2010 at 6:42 am #

I suppose that there are several ways of making pork vindaloo and this is just one of them.

34. GILLIANA September 4, 2010 at 6:42 am #

Clyde, I have always added 1/2 teaspoon of roasted fenugreek seeds ground to a powder and one tablespoon raw mustard oil. It has always beeb a big plus for me. This is what my mother did. She always left the onions out and so do I because the fenugreek some how alters the taste when onion is added.
    Kashmiri chillies are not always available do I use the powder instead with a few red chillies instead.

35. Rosemary Reid September 4, 2010 at 6:42 am #

hey, I see a picture of cloves laid out in the plate of ingredients but it is not mentioned in the recipe.

Rosemary (half goan)

36. Michelle Bambawale September 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing all these great recipes, made the pork vindaloo with goa vinegar too. Do you have an easy recipe for Baath, as would love to make a goan dessert too. Thanks again
    Michelle

37. Clyde September 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm #

@ Michelle,

hey will get it up some time, the baath recipe, not sure when though

cheers,
    clyde

38. Shanti October 4, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Thank you. This recipe turned out very well. I have also tried it with prawn and lobster tail… Turned out delicious all three times.
    I live in Vancouver, Washington and have a bottle of Goan Viniger which we had shipped out to us… You are right it makes a huge difference.
    Thank you for giving us a little piece of Goa half way around the world.
    Shanti

39. Julius October 4, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Plz, Can U post the recipe for Pork Roast?

40. 4 Leaved Clover October 30, 2010 at 4:59 am #

Hi love the recipes, please put up some steak recipes, maybe beef or even a chicken…

41. Gautam December 6, 2010 at 7:03 am #

Dear Clyde,

Thank you so much for your site. Pray convey my respects to your honored mother and other family members for the love and care they have taken to share these wonderful treasures with us.

I come from the 60s generation in Calcutta, a world and time whose many culinary cultures are becoming extinct. One interesting area was where the "Goan" Goan, Calcutta Goan, Anglo-Indian, East Indian, Parsi vindaloos all came into contact with each other, and with North Indian adaptations of mutton and duck vindaloo.

Let me first speak to the last which had mustard seed, green cardamom and mustard oil. I saw several references to some of these spices above, and it stirred some memories.

Next, there was a pork version, also hewing true to a comment above, minus onion but with very coarse ground spices including FENUGREEK, and a LOT of fat, meant for LONG storage. With any onion, the storage life decreases sharply without refrigeration, at least according to received wisdom. SO, this was the closest to the PICKLED form.

Third, was the East Indian version: very mild, a curry or gravy for immediate eating, with no staying power. It had the characteristic "correct" flavor profile, but to me always tasted extremely insipid, without punch or body.

Fourth, the Anglo-Indian: this too had many variations, depending on where the family came from, e.g. Burma, "up-country" etc. and how "Indianized" they chose to be in their food habits. It is sad that no none has written a nuanced study of the foodways & cookery of this VERY diverse community in Calcutta.

Just the variety of eggplant & dried shrimp pickles in Calcutta could create a fascinating profile of the different communities I noted. There used to be the most amazing garlicky HOT tomato ketchup-like sauce, so fantastic that I cannot even begin to describe. But the ladies would rather die than allow anyone to share their recipes.

This is a sad story common everywhere in India. The logic escapes me. If you do not have descendants, or if they are uninterested in learning, why not teach someone who respects you highly and treasures everything you know? How is the world improved if your knowledge and your genius perishes forever, never to be revived?

Sites that these preserve and spread among millions that precious knowledge. Hopefully, by sending in my plea, other Goan ladies will recognize the shrimp & eggplant pickle, or the hot, garlicky tomato sauce and send in their recipes. Surely, if one person knew such, she had to be drawing from a larger common pool of knowledge.

Bengalis & Goans are most infuriating. They will smile sweetly and always manage to sidestep the question: where can I learn this? I hope I can find sufficiently modern minds who will take up my challenge!!!!

Thank you!!

Gautam.

42. Clyde December 6, 2010 at 8:11 am #

@ Gautam,

Regards conveyed to family and its so nice to read a comment packed with substance.

Thank you so much for the info that you have shared here, it made me feel really nice to read and also shed light on a small part of what you call the potpourri of Calcutta's cuisines

greatly appreciate the time you took to post this comment of yours and I do hope and eager to hear more as well!

43. sabbasd January 5, 2011 at 7:10 am #

Vin means wine not vinegar.

Vin d'alho, means wine and garlic, yum yum

44. Dennis January 5, 2011 at 7:13 am #

I'm wondering if you can make this in a slow cooker as well? I'm gonna try!

45. archana February 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

We are trying this one out today, my husband has been looking for a recipe which would match what he tasted a while ago from his aunt's place in Bombay. The recipe was given to them by a Goan friend. He has high hopes on this one,i do too. Will let you know how it went, thank you very much for the recipe. Love your site.

46. Elvis March 4, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Clyde, I totally agree with Gautam. Goans somehow aren't very good in sharing their recipes. But I guess there are exceptions and your Mum is one of them. I have tried a few of your recipes, the Caldine, the Ambot tik and they turned out to be fantastic. Thank you so much, may God Bless your Mum and you abundantly!

47. Monika Pandhare March 18, 2011 at 4:25 am #

Hi Clyde,

A friend of ours sent us fresh pork today and my husband asked me to make Pork Vindaloo!! I was in quite a fix since I'd never made it earlier. I logged in to the Net, searched on Google, found your site and have made Pork Vindaloo as per your recipe tonight!! It's mouthwatering and my husband's super happy!! Thanks a ton for your super helpful recipe!!

Monika Pandhare
    Pune

48. Anonymous March 18, 2011 at 4:42 am #

I can't get hold of Kashmiri chilis either…. is it best to grind other red chilis??? or to substitute with kasmhiri chilli powder??? if so how much???

-bala

49. Clyde March 18, 2011 at 4:46 am #

@ bala

you can substitute Kashmiri chillies with powder,about 5 chillies equal to 1 Table Spoon of powder.

50. sujan March 18, 2011 at 4:47 am #

Hi Clyde,
    First, thank you for an awesome, well-written, cooking blog (see my other post) and duhhh, I just figured out this was your blog when I took the time to read the replies. At first I thought "Who's this Clyde guy that posts all over this blog!?"
    I made a version of the vindaloo based on the mamta's kitchen site, but used your listed cooking techniques. My one mess up: there's a bitter taste to the vindaloo. It's not vinegar-y, but kinda bitter, any guesses where I went wrong?
    Thanks for the awesome blog!!!
    Sujan

51. Clyde March 18, 2011 at 4:47 am #

@ sujan

jerra is what could have made your vindaloo bitter :)

52. dipali April 10, 2011 at 5:46 am #

Hi Clyde!
    Wanted to try the Goan recipe PORK Vindaloo so googled and surfed your site through it.
    Wonderful site and amazing to see the pictures you have on them. Mum is a superstar!It is important for you to know that you have been doing a great contribution by having these recipes posted as you are keeping the authentic taste alive!
    God Bless and will very soon let you know about how i performed this test and if i got through! loads of love to Mum and best wishes to you Keep It UP! Dipali

53. Puck April 10, 2011 at 5:50 am #

Oh oh. Last one (promise :p)
    Brown sugar (or any sugar actually!) Many recipes have that. Is that required/necessary??

Sorry for the many many questions. Just trying to get it directly from the horses'/Goan masterchef's mouth(/keyboard?) 😀

54. Puck April 10, 2011 at 5:50 am #

Hey Clyde. Planning to make this for a huge bunch of friends tomm. Just some concerns, could you pls troubleshoot these for me?

I've been getting too much vindaloo advcie :(
    and am a lil confused now.

Do I need to use malt/rice wine vinegar or will plain white vinegar do?

Also, does one need to add coconut feni :(?? Cos we don't get it here.

(I'm just ignoring the fenugreek and mustard oil/powder bits.. that's okay, yes?)

And referring to your post above.. but jeera's mentioned in the recipe, so is there an OD amount here? If so, what would be the ideal amount to put into 1kg of pork?

I'm SO looking forward to making vindaloo!! I'll surely write back telling you guys how much we've all loved it.
    This is one beautiful blog. So much heart in it.
    Love It :) :)

P.

55. Clyde April 10, 2011 at 6:32 am #

@ puck

this recipe is complete, if you would like to add stuff to it, sure you can, cooking is alchemy, experimentation leads to various effects good and bad

you can knock off what you like add what you like… what i suggest is stick to the recipe once and see how it appeals to ur taste buds and then try and change as per ur desire

as they say too many cooks spoil the broth 😀

@ dipali

56. Austin May 30, 2011 at 7:18 am #

This is a very good recipe and everything comes out nice and balanced using the ingredients available here. Of course, nothing can substitute for Goa vinegar or the chillies. I would just add that one should use the picnic cut of pork for best results

57. Marion August 3, 2011 at 6:41 am #

can you please tell me what i can use instead of whole tumeric – can i use powder haldi and if yes how much ?

marion

58. Clyde August 3, 2011 at 6:43 am #

@ austin

thanks and im sure the readers appreciate the advice 😀

@ marion

im approximating around 1 – 11/4 tablespoon of powder

59. Anonymous August 3, 2011 at 6:54 am #

PLEASE can someone send me a packet of KASHMIRI chillies, exactly like the ones in the photo above.
    These chillies are not available in South Africa, and I need them for ALL my Indian cooking. The beautiful red colour and mild spicy flavor that they impart to curries cannot be replicated with other chillies.
    Please contact me by email if you can assist.
    Kurt Pretorius (kurt@kuheme.co.za)

60. Clyde August 3, 2011 at 6:56 am #

@ Kurt Pretorius

if you find the chillies u have making the dish to spicy to get the color…. you can always knock off the seeds and proceed… so ull get the color and keep a few seeds for the spice ….. cheers

61. Anonymous September 12, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Hey Clyde..

recently discovered your website… I'm originally from Bombay and now live in Hong Kong. My wife is half Goan and I love goan cuisine. Waiting for the weekend to try this recipe…I'm sure it'll turn out great…!!

my 2 cents on the name – Vinho is wine in portuguese not Vinegar!

Fernandes
    Hong Kong

62. deepak menezes September 12, 2011 at 10:33 am #

May God bless the cook for sharing these recipes. i have tried so far the sorpotel and the vindaloo and both have been highly successful. Thank you.

63. Marion September 12, 2011 at 10:33 am #

thanks Clyde…..

64. Anonymous November 4, 2011 at 3:25 am #

Your site is amazing and the photos perfect. As a Portuguese who loves Indian food, I would like to add something. Vindaloo actually comes from the Portugueses expression "vinha d'alhos". Vinha comes from vinho (wine) and alhos (garlic). The d' is the abreviation of "de" which means "of". The native people could not pronounce this sound which only exhists in the Portuguese language and turned out to sound vindaloo. So, vindaloo is a marinade of wine, garlic, salt and just a touch of vinegar. I prefer not to add this. Just the wine is OK. Best wishes to all the indian food lovers.

65. Succour November 4, 2011 at 3:26 am #

Wonderful recipe, I have been searching for this taste for the past 15 yrs. This is the same way that my sis-in-law's mum makes. But since I wanted chicken, just substituted the meats. Ah & also dropped off all the red chilly seeds, since I have kids. We all loved it. Thank you for sharing.

66. trumatter November 4, 2011 at 3:26 am #

This is amazing, Clyde! Im hoping that's your website? I'm gonna try this and come and comment right back in here. Love whoever is cooking, she is simply making it look even more gorgeous and right from Goa!

67. sharmila senthilraja November 4, 2011 at 3:29 am #

So this has been open in my laptop since the past couple of weeks, while painstakingly collected the ingredients…had to go to 2 stores located in opposite ends of the city to get the pork and the kashmiri chiilies…couldn't get hold of the goan vinegar though…hv used malt vinergar instead (has a strange smell)…now I loving packed the marinating pork in the fridge…will back and let y'all know the results…

68. carmine dsouza November 21, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

Hello clyde your website is amazing, really good recipes. im from bombay, presently living in uk, my husband is a chef here, he is goan and me a mangy. im gonna try the pork vindaloo tomorrow and will wait for my hubbys comments, yes he is a very good critic

69. Aseem Saxena December 16, 2011 at 7:33 am #

Dear Clyde,

I am absolute neophyte but love cooking… Will be obliged if you could help me with the following:

1. Can you please specify how much vinegar in either cups / table spoon?

2. How much salt must we add to the pork to help in the drying process?

3. How much vinegar do we add when we grind the red chillies?

4. How much vinegar do we add to the meat latter?

5. How much water do we add while cooking the meat in cups / tbsp / tsp

Regards,

Aseem

70. Clyde December 16, 2011 at 7:35 am #

@ everyone thanking us

you guys are most welcome and we are happy that you enjoyed it

@ aseem

a pinch of salt or two, just relax and try it out, cooking is an art, even if i tell you the things in exact measure there are a lot of combinations that can avoid it from being perfect, nothing is perfect but it would still be tasty!

71. Aseem Saxena December 16, 2011 at 8:31 am #

Sir,

for a kilo of pork, how much vinegar does one add (in ml or Tbsp please)…

This is a new dish for me (to cook that is) and the vinegar can make or break it!

Thanks,

Aseem

72. Dylan December 16, 2011 at 8:39 am #

Do you use Toddy (palm) vinegar? It is my understanding that this is what is used traditionally. Dylan

73. Clyde December 16, 2011 at 8:42 am #

@ dylan

no we don't really use toddy vinegar we use hycel/kalverts vinegar

74. Anonymous December 16, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Hi the recipe looks yummy what do you do with the ginger before it goes in?
    Regard
    Deane

75. Clyde December 16, 2011 at 8:50 am #

@ deane

you blend the ginger….with the other masala ingredients

76. SRG January 22, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Hi Clyde

Such a refreshing change to come across a website dedicated to Goan cuisine. Tried the pork vindaloo recipe today. I went overboard with the pepper so it was very spicy but otherwise a great dish. Thanks for posting and do keep up the good work!

Best
    Simi

77. Charles February 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Lots of requests for guidance on the amount of vinegar to be used but absolutely NO help given. Why? Is it a secret? My answer would be, use between 4 and 8 tablespoons of vinegar, dependent upon your own particular taste. If using a mild'ish vinegar, use closer to 8 (120ml). If you are using something with a bit of a kick to it, I would suggest starting with 4 (60ml) and adjusting things as you need to. Remember, you may not get it right first time around – the second and third times around are often much better.

PS – this recipe originally was made using red wine (as carne de vinha d'alhos or 'meat with wine and garlic') but the recipe was adapted fairly early on with the substitution of the wine by palm vinegar. Around the same time, kashmiri chillies were added for a bit of extra zing, plus cumin, mustard seeds (yes, mustard!)cloves, etc. to give the dish a native Goan feel.

78. Flower Power June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

i tried your version of Vindaloo and i hope that's the authentic one cuz it turned out delicious- absolutely lip smacking. i have some leftover marinated pork ready for the por but alas for some feni. Thanks for such a wonderful blog, keep up the good work and please don't ever disband it.

Sunil Sharma Adhikari.

79. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Thank you Clyde and your mum for propogating the 'correct' Goan recipe for Pork Vindaloo. I relate to this as a Goan dish with portuguese influence for the vinha alhos in the name. It was of course adapted to use vinegar. It is basically a fiery red chilly dish with a little extra garlic and the tangy addition of vinegar. A little sugar is necessary to balance it or else it will be overly sour. But people if you are looking for the authentic Goan experience please stay away from coriander seeds and mustard seeds. It simply what you see on the Cast of Characters pic by Cldye. Sorry if you are Bengali and Anglo you are more than welcome to add anything you love to your pork curry. And for all those who are trying it for first time with questions, just follow the recipe the first time.. it cannot be wrong. And if doesnt taste as well keep it in the fridge for a day or two and eat it again. I promise you it gets better.
    Regards to all .. vindaloo experimenters. Angela

80. Laeotekhun June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

I think the following:

1)The amount of vinegar, in the marinade, should be enough to make the whole thing (a little) more than moist.

2)For those of use who cannot access Goan vinegar then red (preferably) or white wine vinegar should be a suitable substitute.

I experienced my first vindaloo more than 50 years ago and the vinegar taste MUST be there but should NOT dominate!

So, the questions that I REALLY want Clyde to answer are regarding the quantities of vinegar (are my thoughts, above, correct or not?

Also,conversions from "1 and a 1/2" Haldi" (Turmeric) to the powdered variety.

What would be the equivalent if using a powder?

I, really, want to try this out BUT, I need a response, from Clyde, before I do!

81. Kunal D'Souza August 5, 2012 at 5:10 am #

Hi Clyde,
    I've followed this recipe to the T, over 10-15 times, and it comes out just perfect. The taste brings back memories of my grandmother's vindaloo.
    Thank you so much for sharing this and others. Much Appreciated.

Kunal (Sydney)

82. Anonymous September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Thanks Clyde, we tried it for the first time and it turned out GREAT! The step-by-step details with the pics helped a lot :-)

Clyde D'Souza 😉

83. Anonymous November 17, 2012 at 4:43 am #

I will try your recipe this weekend. Looks very good and I can wait to taste it. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Kevin

84. Anonymous November 17, 2012 at 4:50 am #

Hi

I live in France & I would like to know if we need any special vinegar to prepar all these Goan meals…
    Thanks
    Alba (France)

85. Clyde November 17, 2012 at 4:52 am #

@ Alba,

we use brown vinegar, but any vinegar will do

Cheers

86. Anonymous December 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

I would like to cook 5 pounds of Pork Vindaloo which is approx. 2 and 1/2 kgs. So do I just double up the ingredients for masala. Thanks. June

87. Clyde December 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

@ June,

The quantity above is for 1 Kilo so, One and a half times more, yes :)

88. Anonymous December 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Hi..Thank You for such a wonderful recipe…but pls advise, don't u use any kind of oil in the whole recipe for frying or marinating ? Regds, Priya

89. Clyde December 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

No oil, have responded in the comments above, as the pork fat melts, yummy yummy 😀

90. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Hi Gautam and Clyde The vindaloo recipe i have from my grandmother calls for red chiilis, mustard, garlic,turmeric, zeera all ground in vinegar ,salt and sugar added to taste …it is very tasty and esp good for pork with a liitle fat. try it!! no ginger or onions .

91. saqer humaid March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Hi u can get pork in spinneys.

92. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Going to try this recipe this Christmas – just wondering, should the cinnamon, pepper corns and cloves be ground with the masala as well as adding some full to the dish when cooking? Please advise.

Nirmala

93. Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Hi Clyde

Great recipes – have tried the fish curry and prawn and bhendi – excellent.

Going to try the Pork Vindaloo – just need to know if I should grind the cinnamon, cloves and pepper too should I just add it to the dish when it is cooking.

Thanks and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Nirmala

94. Clyde April 6, 2013 at 3:00 am #

Add it to the dish, there is a little that you have to grind though

95. Paul Joseph April 23, 2013 at 5:20 am #

I'm going to try it right now…! C u later..!

96. Christopher Wice June 10, 2013 at 10:31 am #

Thanks for the recipe.
    I felt like a Vindaloo today it was so tasty.
    I put everything except the onions in our big mortar and ground it with the pestle.
    so nice.
    Made it to celebrate the spring that has finally arrived here (in May) up in Toronto.

97. Renuca fernandes August 21, 2013 at 3:13 am #

Hi Clyde,
    Thanks for the recipe. Deo bore koru….

Ren

98. Shiny A August 21, 2013 at 3:13 am #

Hello!
    Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

Could you clarify how much vinegar should I use?

99. Fay August 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Hi! this recipe has been an inspiration to try out other Goan recipes in my kitchen. Great job with the detailed step by step blog and keeping our Goan recipes alive! I was born, bred and still living in Africa but grew up with all these yummy dishes! Loving it that I can do the same for my family. Kudos!!

100. Cathy L. November 19, 2013 at 9:11 am #

Clyde, congrats buddy! My pork is marinating right now .. tomorrow is the big day .. will decide if it is indeed worthy of ALL this adulation. This comment comes from deep in the heart of Pennsylvania.. unfortunately I won't be able to count on my neighbors coming across as they get excited with stuff like chicken pot pie with only a pinch of pepper. So please could you let me know how long it will take for pork to cook on a low flame – I am guessing about 45 minutes. I hope it will have a thick gravy… yearning for vindaloo. Will be in Goa soon to give in to my cravings. Who knows perhaps after Clyde's creations, I may never have to crave again!

101. Sami January 28, 2014 at 5:51 am #

This weekend I made my first Goan Pork Vindaloo and it was a hit!
    Thank you for creating this site and for sharing all these yummy Goan recipes. I am excited to try another one.
    My suggestions, could you please add cooking time and exact quantities of ingredients? For example, on this recipe the amount of vinegar was not listed and also there was no listed cooking time.

102. tarcisiovalente February 12, 2014 at 8:54 am #

Vindaloo = Vinha d'alhos, portuguese for a marinade based on vinegar and garlic, possibly the origin of this name

103. Anonymous May 7, 2014 at 7:40 am #

BHATT

INGREDIENTS

1 Coconut ground fine

250 gms Semolina

300 – 400 gms sugar

4 tbspn margarine (not ghee)

4 Eggs

¾ Cup Milk or a little more

1½ tsp baking powder

Few almonds for taste (grind along with the coconut)

Few Caraway seeds for flavour or rosewater

METHOD

Make a syrup of the sugar and add the ground coconut let it cook for a little while. Take off the fire and cool down then add the beaten eggs and margarine. Add the semolina, caraway seeds and baking powder. Keep for about 2 hours for semolina to soak in. Bake in a preheated oven at 325°C till done.

104. Michael Hoyland May 7, 2014 at 7:44 am #

I cooked this recipe and it was very nice. I spent about 1 year in Goa about 35 years ago. I now live in Perth Western Australia. I still remember helping the village pull the fishing nets in from the beach and then sit and drink Coconut fenny with the fisherman. I have one question I really need answered so I can be sure I have your recipe correct. In the list of ingredients it says peppers but there are no peppers on the plate in the picture, there is only pepper corns. So, is this a mistake, or should I be adding red fresh chillies to increase the heat. It would be very much appreciated if you could answer as I am waiting to cook it again.

105. thelma June 24, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

"peppers" = "pepper corns"

106. Goodgenie4u June 24, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

A few comments make a good point about the addition of mustard. I checked my 1935 Chef book. The recipe called not for mustard seeds, but mustard oil. This recipe uses the pork fat that the pork has. I pork shoulder roast, trimmed of fat. The skin and it's fat I render about 2 tbsn because the flavour is important. I add virgin coconut oil if more oil is needed. BTW no coconut flavour. I stay away from genetically modified and refined vegetable oils. Never fry with virgin olive oil. Sometimes after the vindaloo is cooked, I infuse the coconut oil with mustard seeds at high heat and top the vindaloo.
    If you also add fenugreek seeds, a typical curry, slightly bitter taste is added.

107. Goodgenie4u June 24, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

This recipe is authentic any added accents like mustard and fenugreek, fennel or nigella ( kalongi) are fusions or have their own name like bafat, indad,molee,curry,fugad,stew,sorptel adding just liver, thial. This knowledge is mostly diluted or lost as we live modern working women lives. I am a guy, 68, taught to cook when I was 16 and did it almost every other day since. Thanks to my grandmother who I lived with for 3 years and Isadore Coelho's CHEF cookery book, first published in 1935; 11 years before I was born.

My kids 37 girl and 33 boy born in Canada have only eaten our cooking till they left home. Then they reverted to Canadian food in their 20' . Last week my daughter made 5 kgs of my dryish mince and peas for 35 members of her sailing club. It was served on Pasta. The members had nevet ever seen this and begged her for the recipe. To out do her last week end my son a busy lawyer found the the time to make fried pomfrets, using red masam on one side and green on the other and served his Vietnamese wife and hr family. They know all about pomfrets, but the recipe blew them away

Just do it and do not pressure your kids to learn. Feed them with it. They will never find better food. When they are in their lste 30's they will surprise you. Remember, once a month, to give them your food to take away to keep them hooked!

108. Anonymous March 18, 2015 at 5:59 am #

Fiery pork Vindaloo was a total hit with my family
    thanks for these lovely recipes
    Michelle Pereira

109. Anonymous March 18, 2015 at 6:02 am #

Clyde, thank your Mum for being so generous with her recipes — they are great, always a success. A very good friend of mine told me to use Malt vinegar since Goan Vinegar is not easily available in Canada. She also told me that adding a shot/wine glass of Vodka gave it that extra punch. She suggested that I add my dark spices — cinnamon, cloves, and peppercorns towards the end as adding them early ruined the vibrant color of the vindaloo. Seems to work. Happy New Year. Love your Mum's recipes. Blessings….Lydia

110. rahuldoes March 18, 2015 at 6:06 am #

Respected Ma'am,

I have this question about washing. I have been washing only the fresh chicken that we get in India with all its blood and gore and feathers and that too in the wash area or bathroom. Never in the kitchen as it spreads contamination. (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food)

What is your take on washing pork bought from well reputed shops?

I have always managed to ruin this dish of yours by my over-enthusiasm in adding massale. Let me be honest to your recipe, today, and will tell about the results soon.

Regards,

Ra.

111. Anonymous March 18, 2015 at 6:06 am #

It says above, grind the red chilies with vinegar and add all the ABOVE ingredients and blend.

112. Jacinta D'Souza March 18, 2015 at 6:06 am #

Hi Clyde, Do you have a recipe for the authentic goan pork sausages. I live in Mumbai and would like to preserve it in a jar than the guts. I would be grateful if you could post me the same.
    Thanking you,
    Jacinta D'Souza

113. chandrima roy October 7, 2015 at 10:25 am #

This is the best pork vindaloo in the Internet !! Thank you.

114. Nita Dev October 7, 2015 at 10:25 am #

Is it possible to make it in a pressure cooker