Prawn and Lady Finger Curry

Prawn and Lady Finger Curry

This dish is known as the Prawn and Bendé curry, that’s what we call it at home. Its been one of the dishes we have virtually grown up on. This is also the first Goan sea food recipe on the blog, suprisingly! Will try to get more up as soon as possible till then lets see how this ones done.
Prawns and Ladyfingers

Prawn and Benda Ingredients:

1 Cup of Prawns
300 Grams Lady fingers (Okra)

Prawn and Lady Finger Curry Masala Ingredients:

Ingredients for the masala, Kashmiri Chillies, jeera, ry corriander seds, Haldi powder, Pepper, Tamrind and Garlic

1/2 Coconut
8 Kashmiri Chillies
1 Teaspoon Jeera
1 Tablespoon Dry corriander Seeds
1 Teaspoon Haldi powder
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
Small Ball Tamrind
3 – 4 Flaked Garlic

2 Flakes of Kokam (What is Kokam?)
1 Tbsp Vinegar if required
Salt as per taste.

Saute Ingredients (Bagaar Ingredients)

Onions tomato ginger to saute for the prawn and lady finger curry
1 Medium Size Onion
1/2 a Tomato
One bit of Ginger

Saute or bagar the onions, tomato and ginger pieces in a little oil.
Saute the onion, tomato and ginger
Toss the prawns in and stir a little so all of it gets evenly cooked. In the mean time blend the ingredients for the prawn curry.
prawns saute with onions ginger tomato
When it gets a little brownish its time to add the masala.
Bagar or saute the prawns for a while as well
The goan prawn curry masala has a nice orangy color thanks to the kashmiri chillies and coconut, it also has a delightful aroma.
Goan prawn curry masala
Add the masala to the prawn saute and stir it up, you would probably realize that its too thick.
Add the masala to the saute
Add some water to the blender or mixer depending on how thick or thin you want the gravy, you can also add some coconut milk instead of water to make it tastier.
Wash the blender with some water and add it to the dish to make the curry
Once it reaches a boil thats when you add the lady fingers as you do not want them to get too soft.
Let it come to a boil and then add the lady fingers
Add some vinegar if required, this depends on your taste buds so does the salt.
Add vinegar to taste
You can add 2 skins of kokam to add some more flavour to tickle the tastebuds.
Add kokam to the curry
Stir the mixture carefully so as to not break the pieces of lady finger as they are rather delicate.
Stir Carefull so as to not break the vegetables
Here’s the ready prawn and ladyfinger curry, make sure you do not cook it for too long after you add the ladyfingers as they will get too soft they have to remain crunchy.
Prawn and Bhende curry
The Prawn and Bhende curry tastes best with rice accompanied by fried fish and prawns, true Goan style!
Yummy with rice, fried fish and prawns

Hi, I'm the guy who does most of the work to keep this site up. It's something that i'm passionate about but wish I had more support to keep it synced with the vision I have of it 🙂

I keep pushing myself and love innovating in the kitchen.Hope you see my smiling face more often, that just means there will be more recipes coming up. <3 Peace and Love Always 🙂

, , ,

24 Responses to Prawn and Lady Finger Curry

1. cristal dsouza May 6, 2009 at 3:37 am #

These recipes are simply awesome,,,god bless the cook for sharing this with us…

2. Anonymous August 22, 2009 at 9:50 am #

which oil would b better 2 use here(only 4 taste)?

3. Clyde August 22, 2009 at 9:55 am #

@ cristal,

you more than welcome, there are many a times I have to coax my mother into sharing her recipes 😀

@ anonymous

mom says any cooking oil should do the trick, but I think that olive oil perhaps, maybe i watched too much popeye when i was a kid 😉

4. Brenda November 16, 2009 at 11:49 am #

I am new to the food blog world… i just tried the prawn and lady finger without the prawns and the ladyfinger. i believe its called sorak… it came out so good even i could not believe it.. My dad loved it..Thank you so much..

Do you have a receipe that calls for dried prawns?

5. Anonymous January 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

I tried your mums Chicken Xacuti Recipe. It was awesome. Compliments to the Chef

6. Anonymous March 6, 2010 at 5:02 am #

awesome, thanks heaps chef! Just what I need! Damn it… I MIsS GOA! 🙁

7. Anonymous March 6, 2010 at 5:02 am #

A small correction…..after you saute the onions, you then add the ladysfinger and saute for a couple of minutes, this way, the slime from the ladyfinger would dry up, and they get firmer, then you add the coconut masala and water, the Kokum. You add the prawns last, and just let it cook for 3 minutes till they turn pink. If you ad them early, they become tough and rubbery…. Always add the prawns of the fish last….valentine

8. Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am #

to anon of jan 21 2010, u r absolutely right, this way does turn out much better

9. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

why have you discontinued with the recipes, they are really awesome I tried the Chicken Cafreal and it really turned out good God bless the hands that have given us such good recipes.

10. beverly February 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

thanks so much , the recipes u post are yum ,
    the instructions with pictures makes the diffuclt part easy
    pls carry on with this good work

11. Anonymous April 10, 2011 at 5:46 am #

firstly, This webiste is just awesome ! all the recipes are truly authentic! btw, comment posted on jan 5,2010, that is a very nice suggestion, indeed. frying the okra before adding it to any sort of preparation, does help the slime to dry up and make em firm and also taste better!
    keep up the good work !

12. swati April 23, 2011 at 8:11 am #

your recipe is perfect and reminds us of the authentic goan food

13. karuna November 4, 2011 at 3:25 am #

Just waiting to make this recipe next. New to Goa and am exited to get fresh fish sold at the doorstep every morning.
    Already made the fish curry and it turned out yammy.

Thank you for showing each step in such detail.

14. Anonymous July 13, 2012 at 6:51 am #

This is like my food bible now cos I whip up Goan food like my mum and she's shocked that I can.. 🙂 thanks. Pls keep posting .

15. Maguil September 27, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Thi s site is awesome, cld u pls let me know the recipe 4 sourak (ankuar cuddi)in details as
    the above. thks appreciate……..

16. Anonymous October 28, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

I must thank my friend Alzira for sending me these wonderful recipes. My wife just cant figure out how my cooking has changed from good to excellent.Maybe you should come on to Facebook to help thousands of users abroad to prepare good goan homecooked meals. Casmiro Fernandes,Mumbai.

17. Clyde October 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

@ Casmiro 🙂

We are on facebook 🙂 THe link is in the sidebar on the left, but we need to put the widgets here as well, im wondering if I should redesign the site and move it to another platform altogether >…

18. Nancy Albuquerque March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Hi Thanks a lot for the recipe & Thanks Sidd & Valentine.

Please could anyone tell eme how to make the traditional raechad masala -red one (where we soak the chillies)

19. Joanne T Ferguson March 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

G'day! I would like to make your wonderful recipe shortly and was wandering how much are two flakes of kokam and can tamarind paste be used as a substitute for the balls of tamarind? If so, about how much would you suggest? Thank you in advance. Cheers! Joanne

20. Clyde April 6, 2013 at 3:49 am #

two flakes of kokam is two pieces

you can use a tablespoon of tamrind paste 🙂 Cheers!

21. Joanne T Ferguson April 23, 2013 at 5:51 am #

G'day! This recipe is definitely "on the list"
    I was wondering approximately how much tamarind do you use and would I be able to use tamarind paste as have some on hand? Thank you in advance for inspiring me.
    Cheers! Joanne
    Am @mickeydownunder on Twitter

22. pradyush81 May 1, 2013 at 7:05 am #

Hi ,
    I am from Orissa staying in Bangalore .I am a big fan of Goan cuisine . .I asked one of my Goan Friend from Mumbai to get some kokam for me .
    Using Tamarind instead of Kokum would be more of a compromise , I mean , we might not get the exact taste but a similar taste .
    Have you heard abt kadamopuli , a cousin of kokam, which is extensively used in kerela fish curries . Any idea if that can be used incase kokum is not available . Kokum looks like a exotic item for us in bangalore .

23. Anonymous January 28, 2014 at 5:28 am #

Awesome recipe for Prawn & bhindi curry….Is it possible to get the xacuti recipe, would like to try it your way…Thanks for all the lovely authentic Goan food you are helping us to cook….god bless.fferns

24. Rose Lobo September 18, 2016 at 9:51 am #

Tried the prawn and lady finger curry – superb! Everything ingredient wise was spot on – thank you for sharing the mouthwatering recipes! Looking at some more recipes today for mackerel etc.