Milk Cream for a White Christmas

Milk Cream for a White Christmas

This is another yummy, easy to do, requires a lot of stirring not too many ingredients. I have been away from home for a while, I had some of these pictures with me so I decided to put this recipe up, its made during Christmas and well the magic of it is to get a white colour.

The secret to get the white colour is the amount of patience you have, the slower the flame and more the stirring the whiter your Milk Cream will be. So lets take a look at the ingredients now.

Milk Cream Ingredients:

1 Litre Milk
450 Grams Sugar
100 Grams Ground Cashew Nuts
1 Table Spoon Butter

450 Grams of Sugar

100 Grams ground Cashewnuts

Boil the milk untill its half the quantity on a slow fire.
Boiling the Milk for Milk Cream

Add sugar and stir continuously till the mixture thickens.
Add sugar to the milk

Once its nice and thick and all the sugar has dissolved add the ground cashew nut powder. Make sure you never let the mixture get stuck to the bottom of the vessel.
Mixing Cashewnut Powder

When you see the bubbles at the edge of the vessel, its nearly ready, you will need to take out a little taste and test its consistency by testing it in water.
Stir continously till bubbles appear at the sides

You can then remove the mixture, keep it to cool it will then look like what it is below.
Cooled Milk cream

You will need to butter the mould and mould it, I have put up a picture below although its Marzipan that is being moulded you can see that the mould is nice and buttery so the moulded piece slips out.
Moulding the Milk cream
Once all the Milk Cream is moulded you will need to keep it for drying once again, overnight is more than enough. The sweet can be place on a newspaper sheet like the one below and left to dry.
Moulded Milk Cream kept for drying

Once its done you can store it in an airtight container, Milk Cream melts in the mouth by the way :) Yummy.
Milk Cream

Do hope you enjoy another marvelous Goan Sweet Recipe, it is difficult to get updates frequent updates as I need to get pictures of the process as its done. Since we have been receiving requests for some yummy food the next recipe will not be a sweet. Till then enjoy some sumptuous Goan food!

Hi, I'm the guy who does most of the work to keep this site up. It's something that i'm passionate about but wish I had more support to keep it synced with the vision I have of it :)

I keep pushing myself and love innovating in the kitchen.Hope you see my smiling face more often, that just means there will be more recipes coming up. <3 Peace and Love Always :)

, , ,

59 Responses to Milk Cream for a White Christmas

1. alicia December 17, 2008 at 10:54 am #

Thank you for putting up this lovely yet simple recipe that I’m going to try out this christmas.
    I went through the rest of your blog and I must say the pictures make it all the more endearing :)

2. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

Great site……Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it.

3. Clyde March 5, 2009 at 1:17 pm #

@ Anonymous, Your welcome, wonder if you tried it out!

@ Alicia, thanks for the comment and hope you enjoyed the sweets 😀

4. Trisha December 1, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

Hi Clyde,

I recently came across your site and have been visiting it quite often since then. The recipes are well explained and the pics make it easier to follow. Am definitely going to try the Milk Cream this Christmas. I hope you will put up some more Christmas sweet recipes before the 25th of Dec.

Once again thank you for the wonderful recipes!!!

5. Anonymous December 14, 2009 at 4:59 am #

Hi Clyde!

I just came across your site & it is absolutely fantastic! I'm hooked!!
    The pictures make it much easier to understand & follow.
    I was always looking to make milk cream and now, thanks to your site, I will try it for Christmas.

Thanks alot & keep up the wonderful work.

Lynn

6. Doreen December 17, 2009 at 4:28 am #

i dont know when to remove it suppose it becomes hard
    maria

7. Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 4:28 am #

Hi, Can I use condensed milk – Nestle Sweetened condensed milk, if yes then what is the quantity to be used?

Regards,
    Annie

8. E December 17, 2009 at 4:28 am #

hi, thanks for recipe. although, i think i got it a bit wrong…ive put it in the mould..and its still a bit soggy….:/ !

9. Clyde December 17, 2009 at 4:34 am #

@ Trisha & Lynn

Thank you so much, have put up a few more recipes already and one more coming up

@ E, Anonymous & Maria

When the Milk cream leaves the sides of the dish its ready to be removed.

Yes you can make it with condensed milk but since we dont use it have no idea about the quantity required. Some people also add flour to thicken the sweet but we dont do that

To check consistency in water, you drop half a tea spoon of the milk cream in water and if it hardens or becomes a soft ball you know your dish is nearly ready

10. Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm #

Commendable work Clyde :) Thanks for the wonderful recipes.

11. Anonymous December 23, 2009 at 6:45 am #

It is almost midnight and I want to thank you for this recipe which turned out absolutely perfect. Thanks to your generosity that has kept this tradition alive for us youth today.

Lots of love,
    Scott

12. Luann December 23, 2009 at 6:45 am #

Hi
    I have tried milkcream before, but it was never white and soft. But this christmas i used followed yr instructions and viola white and soft and yummy. Thanks so much. God bless. Luann

13. Anonymous March 6, 2010 at 5:02 am #

Thanks for the wonderful recipes.

Tried the milkcream recipe. It turned out very tasty. However, can you please explain how to check the consistency in water. Was not able to judge exactly when it is ready.

14. Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Lovely recipes, I am abs hooked to this site ! Thanks once again…

15. Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Hi,
    I love this site…I tried the goan fish curry and goan chicken xacuti and my family loved it :) I am going to cook all the recipes from your website as we all love goan food.We are Roman catholics who live in Pune and my Daddy is a goan but we dont get to go to Goa often and dont get to eat autentic goan food but now i can cook authentic goan food for my sweet family.
    Francesca D'mello

16. W April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Hi
    Thanks for all the yummylicious recipes and taking the trouble to keep our rich goan cuisine alive. Your site is simply super!!
    Could you please provide the recipe for marzipan too? Thanks a ton. God bless and keep up the great work
    Wendy

17. Anonymous May 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

Hi Clyde,
    I live in Australia and was lucky to stumble upon this site. I use to miss all the dishes that a neighbour aunty would make and send over to my house so that we could taste the same (my mom used to go nuts, as we are mangaloreans but I always loved Goan food more). I tried out a couple of the recipes like the prawn and ladyfinger curry, caldine and they really turned out well. My hubby and by BIL both loved it. I'm trying the milk cream today. I was a die hard fan of the ones my cousins use to make @ Christmas (can't wait till Christmas). Will keep you posted on how they turn out.
    Never really stepped in the kitchen when living with my parents, so you can imagine how much good authentic recipes mean to me (they remind me of home). A big "THANK YOU" for putting up this site and sharing your recipes…Veena :)

18. Anonymous November 28, 2010 at 6:39 am #

Hi,
    I love this site… other than some hidden tips…LOL.
    I would like see some more goan recipes like jujubes,date rolls,etc.

Warm wishes,
    Ms Braganza

19. marz November 28, 2010 at 6:39 am #

Tried ur recipe n the milk kinda curdled…. Any idea why this wld happen? Am gonna try it again. Wish me luck….

20. Clyde November 28, 2010 at 6:43 am #

@ Marz, theres no curdling actually, after you add the cashewnuts it looks like its curdling, but dont give up, keep stirring and after soon time it will all come back together! :) All the best!!!

21. Anonymous December 6, 2010 at 7:09 am #

Hi Clyde
    i went through your recipes and they are really good but i failed in the milk cream as they did not turn out as white as i expected. Can you higlight on this please.

Thanks Olivia

22. Clyde December 6, 2010 at 7:14 am #

@ olivia

whenever you make a goan sweet or a goan christmas sweet remember it will take up your entire day

if you want it to be white, it has to be on the slowest flame possible

it should be continuously stirred so that it never touches or gets stuck to the bottom

and this means your gonna have to give a lot to the sweet, if you get tired turn it off and start later, but don't turn up the flame, and voila hours later you'll have a awesome white milk cream

wish you good luck!

23. Sandra December 15, 2010 at 7:40 am #

I recently came across your site and I was always looking to make milk cream. The pictures make it much easier to understand & follow. I'm going to try out this Christmas…Thank you for putting up this lovely yet simple recipe. Have a Blessed Christmas

24. Faye January 5, 2011 at 6:55 am #

Hi Clyde,
    I tried the milk cream and it tastes great, but I made a big mistake by kneading it and then not molding it immediately, i left it in a vessel and by evening it was hard as rock!!!
    Any solutions as to how I can soften it to ,mould?
    Thanks a lot

25. Clyde January 5, 2011 at 6:59 am #

@ Faye

you need to break it up, butter your hands and knead it

Smaller the quanty you knead the faster it will be!

Regards,

26. Anonymous January 7, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Hi Clyde,

Thanks for the receipe its amazing i tried it…i have also tried te sorpotal people in my house loved it…thankz

Valentina

27. Anonymous January 13, 2011 at 4:28 am #

Hi,
    Please tel me for how many minutes the stirring needs to be done? thanks Cindy

28. Clyde January 13, 2011 at 4:33 am #

@ cindy

you need to the consistency test… theres no fixed time that i can suggest its according to how slow your fire is and how much u stir

29. Michelle De Souza July 27, 2011 at 7:06 am #

Hey,

Thanks for the recipe, it so easy!! I was wondering from where you brought the moulds, because i have been making diamonds and they look boring…

Thanks again
    -Michelle

30. 4 Leaved Clover December 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Hi absolutely love yr recipes must say each one is better than the other. Have to try this Milk Cream… Thanks very much.

31. Anonymous December 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Thank you so much for some incredibly comforting and easy recipes. FOr someone who never stepped a kitchen till she turned 30 – this has been a fabulous resource for me! I've tried the ambotik, sorpotel, milkcream and the prawn curries – and yum! absolutely delicious. The pictures accompanying make all the difference! Please keep the recipes going – its seriously a lifeline for us who don't have access to food like this at home.
    Cheers,
    San

32. Nattie Henry Martis December 20, 2011 at 9:01 am #

When you see the bubbles at the edge of the vessel after stirring for about half hour,,,,,, ONLY THAN, its nearly ready,

33. Anonymous December 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Hi Clyde,
    Thank you so much for your recipes. This Christmas I've tried the Milk Cream, but it has turned out soft. I put it back on the fire and stirred it quite a bit, but it still remains soft. I think I've added a little more of the cashew nuts than required. Is there any way that I can harden it?

34. Clyde December 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

@ anonymous

you can try adding 1/4 cup milk with a little sugar, dissolve it on a slow fire, add the milk cream and stir on an extremely slow fire

35. Anonymous February 16, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Tried out your milk cream for this Christmas, it turned out tasty. Thanks again.
    Meagan

36. Anonymous September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Thanks a lot Clyde for sharing your mum's recipe. I love the pictorial illustration for each recipe as its gives an idea of what to expect. I m going to try this milk cream recipe for sure. Can you also please share a marzipan recipe too.

Thanks
    Nadine Almeida

37. Sezzy M September 27, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Hey Clyde,
    I didn't know where to email you so just randomly posting here, my grandfather was Goanese and was the world's best cook, cooking for us everything from Sorpotel, to Baath, Kalkals, phoolas everything!
    Sadly he passed away 5-6 yrs ago and he used to make this Egg Dish…it was a curry but with fried eggs in it (sunny side up), it was really tasty. It was from Goa and now no one knows the recipe..I've searched the internet but I can't find it. Can you help me out?

38. BChee December 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Hi Clyde,

Stumbled upon ur site while looking for Christmas sweets. U see my Mum was Goan & come Christmas time she'd make all the goodies & as kids we'd devour them, however God had different plan for her & so never got to learn, Hence i want to take the Time & sincerly Thank you & must commend you & your Mum for sharing such wonderful recipes along with the pictures makes it even more scrumptious. Now i can continue with traditions & bring smile to my lilone. Thanks Again.
    Blossom

39. Clyde December 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

@Blossom,
    Thank you for the lovely words, made my day!
    Cheers,

40. Lavina Solomon December 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

hi, i'm going to try out your recipe this xmas. It looked easy enough. hope it works out for me this time.

I was also wondering if you have an easy to make marzipan recipe!?

41. elvina dcosta December 19, 2012 at 2:43 am #

hi clyde,
    thanks for the amazing receipes love them. I'm married in a goan family, i loved the goan cruisne. Your website helped me learn and cook goan food. The recipes are so simple and the pictures help to knw tht u r going the right way……… Thanks a lot …… Merry christmas in advance
    regards,
    elvina

42. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

hi clyde,
    read yr recipe n all d comments.i always got my milk cream offwhite n after reading yr recipe to do on slow flame i will try it out.i will be pleased if u could me tell how much time it takes for boiling 1liter milk.do we have wait for the milk to cool before we add the sugar n stir till.milk gets thick and after adding the cashewnut powder,how long does it take on the slow flame to form..i mean how much time does it take.
    debbie lobo

43. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

I read somewhere, and tried it with great success, when boiling milk to reduce it, place a heat proof bowl or aluminium bowl inverted in the pan of milk — no need to stir, the bowl agitates and does the work for you. Some recipes call for vanilla and this discolors the Milk Cream. Make your own vanilla sugar by placing a couple of vanilla beans in a can of sugar and shut it airtight. Also, use white butter or shortening if you don't have white butter for a whiter milk cream….Lydia

44. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Hi Clyde,
    Thanks for the Milk Cream recipe. I try this christmas and it turn out awesome. My son just loved it. Thanks a ton for the site and the receipes. God Bless………… Regards Tereza

45. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Dear clyde,

A million times I would need to thank u. I will try to explain why.

1. I'm not a good cook
    2. I have tried milk cream 3 times prior and failed miserably

You know I can cook only, if I have seen someone cook and feel it. With the help of your site and the pics you have uploaded, it gives us a fair idea of how it looks.

My milk cream came out very well. Got praises from MIL and husband. But I have done stupid thing, I used rose water, instead of vanilla.

Once again A million thanks and compliments of the season

46. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Hi, the preparation is not hardening inspite of stirring for a long time. Tried adding a bit of milk dissolved in sugar but didn't work. What do I do, pls let me know urgently.

Rgds,
    Sonya Pinto

47. Nazareth Luis March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

I've have tried most of the recipes and they are great jsut like my Mai and Maxen used to make them. What about Baath and different Neurio fillings(I remember having Neurios with different filling

have a Merry Christmas and a Goan recipe filled site in the New Year 2013

48. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Great recipe, I tried it and it was yummylicious…Have a Merry Christmas and your sit may we full of other Goan Recipes in the New Year 2013.

Nazareth

49. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

hello

i have rubber moulds of marzipan, but they smell strongly of rubber, tried keeping it soaking in water, but the smell just won't go, will my tofees get spoilt if i make in these moulds? how do i get the smell of rubber out?? plz help……..

50. Anonymous March 6, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Hi Clyde

Thank you for this recipe.
    I tried it yesterday, it has becom very tasty but sticky. I am not abe to mould it as it sticks to the mould. Please help.. Also the color is not white like yours in the picture.. Waiting for your reply..
    regards
    shyla

51. Clyde April 6, 2013 at 3:38 am #

Hi Debbie,

I can only answer the one where you add the sugar while the milk is hot, the rest of it is really dependent on your flame

patience is the key,

52. Clyde April 6, 2013 at 3:41 am #

this is really interesting, but the milk cream is a very delicate dish and im not sure how the inverted alumninium bowl will scrape off everything from the bottom of the vessel and ensure it doesn't get touched… the center will still not be moved about and that has the highest temp on a gas burner…

53. Bridget Fernandes January 28, 2014 at 5:45 am #

I tried it yesterday, it has becom very tasty but sticky. I am not abe to mould it as it sticks to the mould. Please help.. Also the color is not white like yours in the picture.. Waiting for your urgent reply..
    regards
    Bridget

54. Sharlotte's web January 28, 2014 at 5:48 am #

Hi Clyde,

The first step where u boil the milk till half, do you stir or you dont?
    I read somewhere u should not stir at this stage if u want them white. True?

Sharlotte

55. CUTHBERT January 28, 2014 at 5:50 am #

Hi, I have tried this recipe and it has come our just great – my problem is that the plastic molds available in Mumbai are shallow and do not have the deep indentations that the earlier metal shell molds have – do you know where the old fashion metal molds are available – would appreciate your help in getting the same. Thanks again. Merry Christmas to you and the family. Norma

56. bookie bear February 12, 2014 at 8:54 am #

whats the name of the shaper and where can i buy it online ??

57. Judith Diaz August 26, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

Amazing site, love the Goan recipes . Thanks
    Keep up the good work.

58. Anonymous March 18, 2015 at 6:03 am #

I tried this recipe with half litre milk and it turned out fantastic.
    1.Boiled whole cream milk for 1/2 hour on slow fire and stirred as cream came up.
    2. Took off the fire and added sugar, stirred it in and put it back on slow flame and stirred for 15 minutes.
    3.Took off the fire and added cashew powder, stirred it in and put it on slow flame and stirred for 15 minutes and it was done.
    4. Quickly put it on the plate and spread with a spoon and it sets in no time.
    Tip
    After adding cashew stir really quickly to avoid the batter becoming brown.

59. BRUNELLA March 18, 2015 at 6:06 am #