Recheado Masala

Recheado Masala

So finally we have the Raechad Masala recipe, with two versions, one is our own and the other shared by Roselyn who states this is the Salcete version of Raechad. Now ours turns out to be a bright red colour while the latter a orangy colour.

Let us know which one appeals more to your taste buds.

Our Recheado Masala Ingredients:

Raechad masala ingredients

50 Kashmiri Chillies
100 Grams Garlic
15 Grams Cloves
50 Grams Haldi
1 Heaped Teaspoon Jeera
1 Heaped Teaspoon Mustard
1 Heaped Teaspoon Black Pepper
A Small Ball of Tamarind
5 Inch Piece of Ginger
A Pinch of Sugar
A Pinch of Methi

All the above has to be ground in Vinegar, the result is this bright red Recheado masala.

Our Recheado masala

Salcete Recheado Masala Ingredients:

Everest Kashmirilal Chilli Powder – 6 Tablespoons
2 Teaspoons Haldi Powder
4 Teaspoons Jeera Powder
2 Teaspoons Cloves
2 Teaspoons Pepper
Two 4 Inch Cinnamon
A Ball of Tamarind
1 Big Teaspoon Salt
2 Onions of Garlic
4 Inch piece of Ginger
3 – 4 Tablespoons of Sugar
2 Teaspoons Mustard

Again all the ingredients have to be ground in vinegar 🙂

salcete raecha masala

As you may know the Recheado masala is the perfect complement for a fish fry, especially a Mackeral. Slice the mackeral on both sides along the body and put in as much masala, leave it in for a little while and fry. You could also apply the masala on the outside. Don’t forget to let us know which version on the Rechad you liked 🙂

Hi, I'm the guy who does most of the work to keep this site up. It's something that i'm passionate about but wish I had more support to keep it synced with the vision I have of it 🙂

I keep pushing myself and love innovating in the kitchen.Hope you see my smiling face more often, that just means there will be more recipes coming up. <3 Peace and Love Always 🙂

15 Responses to Recheado Masala

1. Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 4:49 am #

Thanks for this recipe. In your Bardez recipe if I want to use Everest Kashmiri chili powder instead of whole chillies, how much should I use for 50 Kashmiri chillies?

Thanks,

Dan

2. Eurika Gomes October 4, 2012 at 4:38 am #

Please let me know what is Sfar in the Salcette version of the masala
    Eurika Gomes

3. Preeti October 4, 2012 at 4:39 am #

I had been waiting for this recipe for a long time . Thanks a ton!
    I have heard of a version where fried onion is added to the masala. Does that help?

4. Clyde October 4, 2012 at 4:42 am #

Hi Eurika,

There was a Typo in there, Sfar was actually suppose to be Sugar 😉

Dan,

I have'nt a clue, you can add more until you get the red color, that should be easier!

🙂

5. KUTZ THINKX!! March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Hi Clyde! Thanks for the recipe. For how long can this paste be stored/refrigerated?

6. ramia krishna April 2, 2013 at 10:05 am #

i m a mangalorean, n ur recipe is bright n looks good, wil try it in wht quantity do u use vinegar?

7. kaleon November 4, 2013 at 2:01 am #

Hi Clyde, I am from Bardez, my husband from salcette, I tried both recipes, I prefer the Bardez one, actually we all do. the colour also gets affected by the chillies, if you use whole chillies, you get a better colour, I found that out by experimenting. Thanks for the recipe. Louise

8. Rashne November 19, 2013 at 9:11 am #

Hi Clyde, I was on holiday in Goa , and i believe it was Britto's . I remember ordering Masala Crab, and i am sure it was cooked in recheado base.
    If , by any luck, you have the recpe for masala crab cooked in recheado masala, could you please share?
    Rashne.

9. Chris January 28, 2014 at 5:52 am #

I sometimes add allspice to my rechado – is this a rather mad idea?

How long can these pastes be kept if refridgerated?

10. Sandeep Dsouza March 16, 2014 at 8:41 am #

Can Anyone please tell me the bardez style?

11. thebiggestnutcaseintheuniverse June 24, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

Can we use this masala for chicken? Has anyone tried?

12. dogooda September 1, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

How much of Recheado paste for kg of fish please?

13. Nancy March 18, 2015 at 5:57 am #

Do surely try this with chicken. Marinate chicken breast with salt and rechado masala and sprinkle kassuri methi leaves crushed (optional) smells n tastes amaaaazing. Do try post Easter n let me know.

14. Praveen October 7, 2015 at 10:25 am #

the recipe with 50 kashmiri chillies is obviously for bulk recipe. You'll kill yourself adding 50 chillies and 100 gms garlic for 4 mackerels. Adjust accordingly. @dagoda…try 2-3 tablespoons for 5-6 mackerels. Should be enough.

15. Sharna Taylor October 7, 2015 at 10:29 am #