Goan Fish Curry

Goan Fish Curry

Sum β™₯ pls

What is a Goan Food blog without the fish curry recipe? Xitt Codi is the staple diet of a goan anywhere across the world. We eat fish curry along with rice nearly every week, its also perhaps the cheapest dish to eat, at a restaurant in Goa.

Heres the Xitt Codi recipe, we will also explore various options while preparing the Goan Fish Curry!

Goan Fish Curry Masala Ingredients:
Goan fish curry masala ingredients

6 Kashmiri Chillies
1/2 Scraped Coconut
A Small Piece of Ginger
3 Flakes Garlic
5 – 6 Pepper Corns
1 Tea spoon Corriander seeds
A Pinch of Methi Seeds
Small ball of Tamarind if a raw Mango is used
1/2 Tea spoon Haldi Powder
1/2 Tea spoon Jeera
1 Green Chilly
Salt

Goan Fish Curry Main Ingredients:

1 Decent Sized Pomfret (You can also add Kingfish or Halwa)
1 Raw Mango

Slice, clean and salt the fish and keep the fish aside.
Sliced pomfret for the fish curry

Grind the masala ingredients mentioned above, in a mixer with a little water.
Masala for the goan fish curry
Add it in your cooking dish and add some more water, now there are two optional things depending on how rich and heavy you want your Xitt codi. The first one is you can bagaar some chopped onions before you add the masala to it.
Add water as per thickness required
Instead of adding water you can add coconut milk to make it rich, but we made this fish curry by adding water, to make it thick enough as per choice. You can then add some salt and slit the green chilly, remove seeds as per spice requirement.
Add salt and green chilly to the curry
Once the entire mixture reaches a boil you can add the fish to the curry
Add Fish Pieces
Along with the fish add the cut pieces of raw mango, to give it that nice tangy flavor that it has. I personally like to eat the cooked pieces of mango, the sour taste of it, my mouths watering as I write this πŸ™‚
Add Mango Pieces to Fish Curry
Cook till the fish becomes edible, this is a relatively easy dish to cook and is not as time consuming as some of them. Bon AppΓ©tit, until the next Goan Recipe!
ready to eat Goan Fish Curry

Hi, I'm the guy who does most of the work to keep this site up. It's something that i'm passionate about but wish I had more support to keep it synced with the vision I have of it :)

I keep pushing myself and love innovating in the kitchen.Hope you see my smiling face more often, that just means there will be more recipes coming up. <3 Peace and Love Always :)

, ,

60 Responses to Goan Fish Curry

1. Anonymous November 9, 2009 at 5:23 pm #

This is absolutely brilliant. This receipe is the best illustration I have seen. Thanks a million

2. Anonymous December 1, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

I have been following this blog a long time, and being a Goan myself living in hyderabad, I've tried recipes you've publish for the last 2-3 months. First and foremost, 99% of the time, the recipes you have given have worked wonders in my kitchen. The other 1% being silly mistakes on my part. I'm a guy who hardly cooks so I assume that's ok. πŸ™‚

Secondly, I love the site's new look.. and please continue to add all your authentic recipes. I've enjoyed everything I have tried my hands on. Has helped me miss home a little lesser now πŸ™‚

Viva Goa! Love to all your readers!

Cheers,
    Leon.

3. Anonymous December 14, 2009 at 4:59 am #

Viva de Goa…

4. Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 4:41 am #

Dear Clyde,I see corriender seeds in the pic…could you pls advise how many teaspoons of corriender seeds you used.

thanks

5. Soul Images December 17, 2009 at 4:45 am #

Excellent presentation. I like the simple narrative and illustrated directions of cooking.

Do you also have the version of fish curry when masala is ground to a paste using toddy / goan vinegar? I am looking for the traditional recipe.

6. Clyde December 17, 2009 at 4:49 am #

@ Leon

glad to know that you are having a blast in the kitchen πŸ™‚ Thank you for taking the time to post your response here… VIVA GOA!!!

@ Soul Images

if you want to use goan vinegar you can use it in this recipe and then don't add the tamarind ball..

@ Anonymous…

Thanks for spotting that …. you need to use 1 Teasoon of Corriander seeds for this recipe, im gonna add that to the ingredients now

7. Anonymous December 23, 2009 at 6:45 am #

An absolutely superb recipe, tastes just the same as at the beach shacks at Bogmalo. May I add a suggestion, try adding a tablespoon of raw rice, while grinding. I was the chef adding that at the beach shack. 'told me that the cocunut milk won't split, if you do so!

8. Rick August 18, 2010 at 7:54 am #

WoW ! I intend trying tis ova the weeknd !!!

9. Maureen August 18, 2010 at 7:54 am #

I love your site. My dearest Grandma used to make all these beautiful dishes for me when I was a little girl. I used to dream of the gorshe and the prawn curries with the mangoes, am so grateful for you. Thank you so much. Now I can make these dishes for my children and relive those wonderful days again. My hubby will be happier too, were both goans. Thank you and thank you a million times. Your illustrations are the most. God bless you.

10. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

hi!!
    being a goan i love fish.not very good in cooking it though
    Verrrrry nice look for the site!!!
    very simple & efficient recipe… thanks a mil
    jeanne

11. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

Congrats!!! This is a wonderful site and the pictures are awesome . It is much better to prepare this wonderful & delicious food at home then to order food from restaurents. Keep the good work.

12. Shrey-Z January 5, 2011 at 7:03 am #

What is that small ingredient right in the center of the plate?? looks brownish..

13. Clyde January 5, 2011 at 7:04 am #

@ Shrey

That ingreedient is Tamarind …

14. Anonymous January 5, 2011 at 7:13 am #

Everything is the same as the Mangalorean Fish curry except the recipe given has jeera and methi. Itsbetter if the tamrind is ground with the spices
    Sonia

15. Cleophas January 7, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Execellent Presentation , never seen a better one
    mouth waters looking at the pics taken
    thanks so much

16. divya January 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

simple and beautiful presentation! i am a big fan of goan cuisine and have tried making few of your recipes…they taste delicious. thanks for sharing with us!!

17. ANETTE February 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Wonderful dish , really liked it . Thanks alot.
    Awaiting some reciepes on Squids too.

18. Linda - Australia March 18, 2011 at 4:22 am #

Thank you mum, i prepared the fish curry for dinner , the family loved it , it was awesome, I couldn't add methi and raw mango but will get these items the next time, I used 1/2 an onion in the ground masala and a little tamarind pulp and fried 1/2 and onion a little just before adding the masala just like mum said, thank you mum for sharing all your beautiful secrets with us, may you be blessed with a long and healthy life. Long Live Mum, Viva Goa!

19. Anonymous April 10, 2011 at 6:51 am #

Out of the world!

I just made it!

Now no need to go to Goa for fish curry! It's now available everyday in my kitchen.

Thanks a ton to the writer. The pictures helped in making and helps as bench mark at every step

Pratik

20. prajakta b April 10, 2011 at 6:52 am #

hey.. m having a few guests over this weekend and ur dish is gonna be one of my main course..i havent tried making it before though..just a small question…while adding the ground masala to the cooking dish, should add a lil oil to it before or directly cook it before oil.. ??

21. Clyde April 10, 2011 at 6:55 am #

@ prajakta

theres no mention of that in the recipe, when you add it you need to add coconut milk or water depending on how rich you want the dish!!!

22. G April 23, 2011 at 8:11 am #

We visited Goa 2 years back and tried making goan fish curry once and it didn't come out good. Tried your recipe and it was awesome. Thanks.

23. Mrs. Barreto July 27, 2011 at 7:01 am #

when r u going to post veg recipes as i love the recipes on this site and tried a few.

24. colin July 27, 2011 at 7:01 am #

excellent and thank you for your love of food and sharing viva GOA

25. a girl's diary July 27, 2011 at 7:06 am #

lovely recipe and too good pics πŸ™‚

26. janhavi November 4, 2011 at 3:29 am #

heyy just chanced upom ur site thru a friend ….. amazing stuff..loved ur simple pictures giving the recipe …like most people here wud love it if u post the authentic goan rechade masala ..have bought the karmas and costa ones but they have tooooo much vinegar in them making the dish very sour …..so hoping to get that soon ..keep up the good work
    janhavi

27. shilpa November 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

thanks for the tasty recepie of fish curry tried out and the results were awesome… specially my husband use to never eat fish curry and he jst loved it and there's always a more demand for fish curry… thanks

28. shawn December 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

πŸ™‚ gud 1

29. Anonymous December 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

I FELL IN LOVE WITH GOAN FISH CURRY ….. SHWETA FROM PUNE

30. Zita Pereira December 16, 2011 at 8:38 am #

half scraped coconut would be 1 tea cup of coconut?

31. Clyde December 16, 2011 at 8:39 am #

@ zita

yes more or less it doesn't have to be precise, more would make it richer…

32. Kashmira January 22, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Thank you for this blog!! I'm from Goa, now in Pune and this should help me to make things on my own since the lovely Goan eateries are 12 hours away by road πŸ™‚ Viva Goa!

33. Ewa Anita February 16, 2012 at 5:58 am #

I have just made the masala but it does not have a nice orange colour like yours in the photo. I used all the ingredients as per the recipe. What do you think the reason might be? Maybe too much coconut?

34. Clyde February 16, 2012 at 6:07 am #

@ Kashmira πŸ™‚

If you use Nh4 you should be able to cut down your journey by a couple of hours πŸ™‚ lol

@ Ewa,

Yes the first would be the quantity of coconut, you need a medium sized coconut and second the quality of Kashmiri chillies has been declining so… if you find the chillies not red enough add 2 more chillies and knock off the seeds if you don't want the spice

35. Sylvester Marshall June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

I m a South Indian, and I don't know how to cook at all. I trying all possible ways to learn Goan dishes for my Wife. Your recipes and pictures have made it very simple for me to understand and prepare it with confidence. Keep up the good work and please put even more pictures for people like me. Thanks a ton for making my cooking Goan style.

36. Allison June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

I just made this recipe this evening and my husband and I loved it!!! I've been dreaming about Goan fish curry since I moved out from home 6 years ago, where my Mother ( a Goan) cooked everything without a recipe. I now live 2100 kilometers away from her and have to fend for myself in the kitchen πŸ˜‰ I've tried a couple of times with different recipes without success, until today! THANK YOU! I will be trying many more of your recipes in the very near future!
    Allison Rodrigues from Halifax, Canada.

37. Two guys in a kitchen July 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

I am from Kerala and after getting tired of fish Moilee and scared of the complexity of the chettinad fish curry, you amazing and simple recipe has made it through our stomachs and into the heart of many of my family and friends. Thanks πŸ™‚

38. cindy September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I just moved to Dubai from Goa, my husband and i wanted some fish curry rice, so i asked my mother how to make it, and she said "odmasan kor" a little of this and that. We landed up making garam masala. Mom's cooking is the best, but until i master the art of it, sme measure is needed. thanks for the post

39. Sonali September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Tried it yesterday for dinner and it came out delicious. Both me and the hubby loved it and it will be staple in our kitchen from now on.
    Keep the awesome recipies coming.

Thanks
    Sonali

40. aarti September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Hi,
    i have ques? If we don't have raw mango what can be used. Hope to reply asap as i'm making this for tom's lunch.
    THanks a lot.

41. Anonymous December 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

I love fish curries and am able to make delicious curries with various recipes, but my Goan curry never turns out FIREY Red as yours. I use Kashmiri Red Chillies or Bedgi chillies. Could you pl tell me which variety of chillies do you use (If possible with a photo) and also where would I get them in Mumbai or Bombay. Thanks. Your curry images are mouth watering. Piro.(Pl email and reply).

42. JOYCE DSOUZA March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Being a goan… I love fish recipes…. I tried this an it turned out superb….
    Thanks for adding authentic recipes and not variations as some other sites have…

43. Tony Fernandes March 6, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Greetings from a Goan in Karachi, Pakistan. This recipe with illustrations is just excellent. Will try it out. It is so simply explained.
    Thank you so much. Proud to be a Goan. Viva.

44. Ted D March 20, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Can this be made with kokum as a replacement for tamarind+raw mango?

45. Clyde April 6, 2013 at 3:46 am #

hi Piro,

the trick to get the color without making it overly spicy is to remove the seeds of some of the chillies…

cheers,

46. Mary Sevens April 6, 2013 at 4:32 am #

very well prepared website.
    congrats.
    i am looking for tuna recipe'.
    can someone help plz???
    thx

47. Sushant Parab April 23, 2013 at 5:20 am #

thanks for this simplified and presentable recipe,,,,,,As per my knowledge, u need to addd 1 more ingredient to this 1,,,,,its "Telfala"(KOnkani word),,,,Viva Goa in Qatar !!!

48. anindita ghosh June 10, 2013 at 10:14 am #

This website brought Goa to my Home. Love each of the recipes posted here.

49. Joe September 30, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I tried making the curry it was great thanks I have learned to make
    goan curry

50. Diana October 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Too tempting ! Will try to make for sure. God Bless You.

51. Anonymous January 28, 2014 at 5:52 am #

awesomeee siteee… Love all your recipes…Viva Goa.. Sharlotte Carvalho

52. Nitasha Chichkar March 16, 2014 at 8:41 am #

Yummy Yummy and Yummy… was a veggy now happily converted after trying my hand at your recipies

53. Clyde May 7, 2014 at 7:54 am #

54. Clyde May 7, 2014 at 7:55 am #

Thank you Anindita πŸ™‚ Much appreciated!

55. Clyde May 7, 2014 at 7:55 am #

haha not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but as long as your happy πŸ™‚

56. Ashish Sahare May 15, 2014 at 2:47 pm #

wow nice dish πŸ™‚

57. Sushmitha Gomes June 24, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

With ur due permission may I share this Goan Fish curry recipe on FB page of Goan Culinary Club

58. Clyde June 24, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

Sure provided you credit us as the source πŸ™‚ Thank you Sushmitha

59. cedars September 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

What can I replace the red chillis with? I cannot eat chillis or pepper. This recipe sounds really delicious.

60. Queenie October 7, 2015 at 10:25 am #