Goan Roast Chicken

Goan Roast Chicken

This Goan Roast Chicken recipe is fairly simple to make, it involves the Goan five spice masala. The chicken roast goes well in sandwiches when shredded and can also be eaten as a snack when made with bits as its a dry dish.

Ingredients for the Five Spice Masala:

Haldi 50 Gms
Pepper 25 Gms
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) 50 Gms
Cinnamon 15 Gms
Cloves 25 Gms

Grind them into a fine powder for use, note that you do not need the entire quantity that you have made but just some of it, you can store the remaining five spice masala for later use.

Ingredients for Goan Roast Chicken:

1 Kilo Chicken
1 Table Spoon Garlic Paste
2 Table Spoons Five Spice Masala
Juice of 1 Sour Lime
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
Salt as Per Taste
1/2 Onion
3 Whole Kashmeri Chillies
Oil
1 Teaspoon Sugar

Chicken bits with garlic paste
Goan Roast Chicken Procedure:

Wash and clean the chicken bits, remove most of the skin, you can keep a little for the sake of some oil. Marinate the bits with garlic paste, two spoons of the five spice masala, the 1/2 onion chopped the 3 red chillies, vinegar and lime juice for six hours to an entire day.Chicken Masala Marinating
After your done with the marination heat some oil in the pan with the sugar until it gets reddish brown basically caramelized.Oil with caramelised sugarThen add the bits of chicken only with the chillies for now.
Cooking the bits with the chilliesAs you can see in the picture below the masala is not added, the chicken cooks without the masala and gets that nice roasted texture.You need to add the remaining masala laterOnce you get this texture after a few minutes of cooking you need to turn the chicken bits around so the other side gets roasted as well.Turn the chicken when roasted
Add some water to the masala and pour it into the pan, something to not it may be better if you cook it in something that has a lid like a deep dish.
Add water to the masalaPut the lid on and let it cook for a while.Cover the dish and cookYou can turn the bits once again and slice the big bits so the insides get done as well.
Slice the big bitsCook the bits until it gets nice n dry, you can remove the lid to facilitate evaporation. Your Goan Roast Chicken is ready.Your roasted goan chicken is readyNote the above image still needs the gravy to disappear.

Hi, I'm the guy who does most of the work to keep this site up. It's something that i'm passionate about but wish I had more support to keep it synced with the vision I have of it 🙂

I keep pushing myself and love innovating in the kitchen.Hope you see my smiling face more often, that just means there will be more recipes coming up. <3 Peace and Love Always 🙂

, ,

26 Responses to Goan Roast Chicken

1. Ohm Stanley March 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Excellent recipe. Tried it and it turned out awesome. i am a goan living in the gulf. Was missing my moms food….so tried this recipe.Memories of goa came flooding back….if only i had a kingfisher beer to go along with the chiken!! Viva!!

2. Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am #

you asked to put 2 spoons of five spice masala, but you did not mention teaspoon or tablespoon, please let me know as I need to try this recipie….looks yummy.

3. Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am #

just want to know if you marinate it, should the chicken be kept in the fridge or outside.

4. Anonymous May 7, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

you asked to add two spoons of five spice masala but you did not mention teaspoon or tablespoon please let me know this as I want to try this recipie…….looks yummy.

5. Clyde May 7, 2010 at 6:39 pm #

@ anonymous

its mentioned in the ingredients 🙂 tablespoons sorry for the delayed response!

6. Clyde May 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

@ marinating anonymous

it depends on where you live (the temp) and how long you want to marinate for… if its not gonna get spoilt u can keep it out

7. Howard June 8, 2010 at 6:14 am #

Clyde, congrats and thanks to you, your mum, and whoever else is involved in putting together these great recipes. I'm an Anglo ex-Bombay and Goan food was always my favourite so it good to have the recipes presented so simple and easy. Keep up the good work

8. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Loved discovering ur blog…what a breath of fresh air to come across authentic recipes …far, few and n between on the cyber world i assure u!! Cheers for the great effort!! Just to let u know I am inspired to make the Goan Roast chicken with A whole big Turkey here in the US.An entire bird with skin in an oven ,smearing sum of the masala over & in between the skin & flesh, marinating it for 24hrs at least( given turkey is a fairly big bird & requires a lot of flavour). Roast it in an oven with baby potatoes & carrots with frequent basting with left over masala & melted butter till its golden brown all over! Do u think it will still work? Want to surprise my American & American Indian friends with a true Fusion Spread!!!

9. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

hi! i love roasted chicken, i'm bored of my own marination recipe, so, i wanted to try something new… 🙂 your recipe looks yummy!…

kitty from Dubai

10. lily March 18, 2011 at 4:24 am #

I hv shifted to goa as for the schooling of my special child. Before coming to goa from mumbai vasai he was a veg. but now he likes goan food so much that he cant do without it thanks for the lovely receipies put up ., I would highly appreciate if u could help me with the ingridents of ready to cook fish masala where i just hv to add onion garlic and the ready to cook masala grind and mk fish curry. Iwould also be grateful if u tell me the receipe for prawns and drumstick curry

11. Clyde March 18, 2011 at 4:29 am #

@ lily

we have the recipe for goan fish curry at this link http://www.goanfoodrecipes.com/2009/04/goan-fish-curry.html

It has all the ingredients required for you to make your dry masala and keep. For the prawn and drumstick curry you can use the prawn and bhenda curry recipe available here http://www.goanfoodrecipes.com/2008/12/prawn-and-lady-finger-curry.html

and replace the lady finger with the drumsticks hope this helps…

12. Amit July 27, 2011 at 7:06 am #

Lovely recipe.. marination in progress… 🙂

13. Priya Fonseca December 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

What a fantastic site! Am not someone who likes to venture into the kitchen but your site with the appealing background and superb step by step images make me feel just a little more confident that I will manage one the maid goes home for her annual leave in the next few days 🙂

14. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Hiiiii… i want to try yr recipe…cld u pls email me the measurement of the dry masala in tsps or cups…it will be easy for me…kind regards..Sunita Jacob..my email id is sunitajacob@hotmail.com….thking u in anticipation

15. Belinda June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

I was brought up on Goan food and love to cook it and eat it. These recipes are truly authentic, and even here in Australia I can get all the ingredients for that famous Goan aroma and taste. Thanks!

16. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am #

how do i make the 5 spice masala

17. Philly Rngel September 27, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Does the marinate of onions & red chillies not to be added after the chicken is brown on both sides?

18. Blanche November 17, 2012 at 4:44 am #

Sounds awesome.. but this isn't roast chicken. this is chicken stovetop cooked in a pan.
    I'm goan and so miss my home cooking. Hard to do with my schedule and time. But when I can l love to do it.

Thanks for this fabulous website.

19. Andy December 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Being a Goan myself & a beginner in cooking i really appreciate the efforts u making here…Thanks alot this really helps m going to try smethg new every once a week….

20. Clyde December 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

Thank you everyone for your thanks, support and information 🙂 Its all appreciated

21. Anonymous December 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

Hi,
    I am currently at US and happened to visit this website…i like this recipie .its so simple and looks yummy . I am gonna try it for sure.

Thanks
    Ann

22. kaleon April 2, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Hi Clyde, I made this dish for Easter lunch and it turned out awesome! Please thank your mother and thanks to you too for an awesome recipe, simple directions, wonderful pictures. Louise

23. Clyde April 6, 2013 at 3:04 am #

we are glad you enjoyed it 🙂 Thanks for the appreciation 🙂

24. Anonymous June 10, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Hi Clyde,I had prepared this and turned out well..thanks to you and your Mum ….Keep up the good work!! …Noella (Mum's cousin's daughter).

25. loretta November 4, 2013 at 2:01 am #

Tried out the chicken roast recipe but found measuring out the spices rather difficult. Imagine it won't turn out as well as your mother's! 🙂 Could you also give us measure in tsp/ nbr/ inches?

26. Round the World Bob March 18, 2015 at 6:01 am #

Great site with authentic recipes. You should experiment the same recipes, using spice powders which most people are used to, and
    Your followers will increase ten thousand fold. You should consider
    Introducing a matrimonial link to your site, which we desperately need here in the Americas. Keep up the good work. RTW Bob.